Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thoughts on teaching

A lot of teachers teach. But only a few can reach, go beyond the lesson in hand, and get out of the book and encourage children to do the same. Knowledge is acquired from vast research and experiences gathered from beyond the limited boundary of the text book. I wish to open the window to the world for my students, away from the classroom walls. I want to give wings to their colourful imagination with the seeds planted firmly on the ground because only then dreams can be fulfilled! Learning becomes an unforgettable experience when teaching is done in a creative way. Every year I work on devices or techniques to teach them.

English lessons should be just as much fun as reading story books! Reading is highly entertaining especially the non illustrated books as your imagination will be more inventive and far more vivid than the actual illustrations. People have different viewpoints, think differently and they colour it with their own imagination.

In the classroom active participation gives me an idea of how my students understand my subject and take interest in my class. Engaging the students individually or in group activities, debates and discussions help me evaluate them better. This will also keep them interested in the subject and also maintain discipline in class. These brain storming ideas often lead to big breakthroughs and bring out more thought provoking ideas, different viewpoints and in-depth insightful revelations that can help create big ideas. Additionally, through these exchanges of thought processes, students can often divulge something involuntarily, that may help to pinpoint their area of discomfort.
 

No comments: